Mars Life

3.18.2005

Regarding blogosphere late-bloomers and Chicagoist

So, I read an entry over at Jason Pettus's website, as I am frequently known to do, and he explained in his journal how trackbacks can work for non-Movable Type bloggers, like yours truly. This is just one more reason why I'm glad Jason's signed on with a mainstream blogging service, and even more specifically, the same one I subscribe to. I'd been wondering for a while how to use trackbacking without having to move to MT.

As it all turns out, trackbacking for non MT bloggers is made possible through Haloscan. I guess it turns out that the haloscan service I signed up for so long ago I can actually put to use once again! It's funny how much the blogosphere has changed since I set one up on a whim almost three years ago. When I first set up my blog, I wanted to get all the services that MT blogs offerred without having to learn their software, so I signed up for a Haloscan account strictly for commenting purposes, and a bloglet account for subscriptions. Now 2 and a half years later, I step back on the scene, and blogger finally has built in comments, and RSS has picked up enough for me to not even need to offer subscriptions (my opinion, at least. Bloglet always gave me headaches anyhow.) Now, that Haloscan account comes in handy for a completely different purpose. Yay!

So I can now report that I've sent my very first trackback ping! What a nerdy sort of glee this sets in me, to know that over at Chicagoist, I've got a little link to the entry here where I referenced one of their entries.

Geeky, yes, but hey, I'm learning nonetheless. My only hope is that I didn't trackback too soon. The entry here didn't really add much to what they were saying, but I just wanted to test it out. If anyone over at chicagoist is reading, thanks for being my guinea pig!

As always, more to come.

3 Comments:

  • I am thinking of moving to MT, not because I need it, but because i am a nerd and want to have the latest and greatest of any sort of technology.

    Though I think the plus side is then people can trackback to you, and having other comments besides this blogger comment would raise the # of people commenting, I think.

    I am up to average about 50 -70 hits per day now. Whooohoo.

    Of course, I could go out an interact with people in real life... just as an idea. I don't know, that sounds kinda crazy.

    R U going to see the Angry Northeast tonight at the Cornservatory? They are pretty funny I will be there. With my big fat cheesesteak eating butt.

    By Blogger Pluto's Dad, at 3/18/2005 3:52 PM  

  • Hey, glad I was able to offer something actually useful at my journal for once in my damn life...and thank you for the tagging resources you sent the other day. I've become a big fan of trackbacking over the last several weeks, precisely because of the win-win situation it creates; blog owners can keep track of who's talking about them, and trackbackers essentially get a free ad over at the original blog (which, lets face it, is often insanely more popular than our own). In case you're curious, by the way, I've trackbacked to about a dozen or so other websites now, and have gotten emails or comments at my own blog from nearly 75 percent of them; the owners of these sites definitely do go check out what's being tracked back to their own.

    By Blogger Jason Pettus, at 3/18/2005 5:23 PM  

  • Yeah I have been using trackback like that too, and it gets you a lot more traffic than otherwise.

    Other things include surfing (a LOT) and posting comments on other people's comments sections. Not spam but you know actually be on topic, then leave a little link. I get most of my traffic that way.

    Now I just have to figure out why it's called "trackback" and not "backtrack"

    is backtrack when they click on your backtrack link from the other site and find your site?

    Am I thinking too hard?

    By Blogger Pluto's Dad, at 3/21/2005 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com