Mars Life

8.31.2005

Motivator

Oh, hi... I didn't see you there. Have you been there long? I really didn't mean to ignore you. Oh, no, there's lots going on, glad you ask. Well, true, it is only when there's big news... yes, you're right, there is a certain value to small talk... OK, OK, you're right, I should really keep the lines of communication more open. I'll try a little harder... I promise. In the meantime, I've got great news!

Saints be praised, a liver has been found for my mother. Yup. I'm sorry to the family out there (if there is one), and thankful to the individual for his (that much I know is true) beliefs on organ donation.

I got the call from my dad last night, and it was very odd... I had called him earlier, and reiterated the same old decree that had been less and less frequent as things were getting more and more comfortable, namely that if it would make my mom happier at any time, I would drop everything and head out to be by her side. Gotta love my parents, though, in their infinite authority, never want me to lift a finger or disrupt my life for their benefit. It's been that way forever. I've always wondered if it has more to do with the situation of me being an only child, or if it has more to do with their particular parenting style. Nevertheless, suffice it to say that they don't ever want to inconvenience me.

That's all well and good, but here we are smack dab in the middle of the situation we've been waiting for, disrupting all that comfort that was organically created through lack of change. So, about 12 hours ago I got the call that there's a liver in NY. Now, my father's in a hospital down there (actually, over there, from where I sit now), taking a nap as he waits for the operation to be completed. The latest word was that she was doing great after prep, and that the procedure could take from 6 to 13 hours. More waiting.

So now the question is, when do I go home? I have to be there for this, and the more I ask my parents, the more they say "don't come now," maybe in a couple days," "she'll be disoriented after the procedure for a few days anyway," and "we'll see". Sigh, I know they don't want to be any trouble, so that's sweet of them. The funniest part of all this is that this is actually the most inconvenient time to be in this situation. I've got two classes going on that I've got significant work to be completed in, that requires my attention consistently, and it's labor day, when airfare and gas prices magically increase, I'll be starting school full time in October, so I need to work as much as I can before then, and I've got two surgeries scheduled for myself over the next two weeks. Regardless, I'm just waiting for my parents to tell me when to show up, and I'll be on my way.

So, yeah, I'll talk to you soon. We should have coffee or something.

More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com